The new year is prime time for house makeovers, and what better place to start than the bedroom? It’s so often neglected, as we tend to devote our energy fixing up the more public spaces in our homes. But we spend as much time in our bedrooms, and the state they are in can influence our mood, sleep and more. Make your bedroom a location you can’t wait to come home to (and do not want to leave!) By lavishing it with focus at the new year. These ideas for creating 10 unique looks can refresh your bedroom select your favorite and share your own ideas for a royal bedroom at the Comments.
Michelle Miller Interiors
1. Refined female. Crisp black and white stripes paired with soft misty blue produce a chic, elegant look that is easy to love. Keep accessories down and easy, with favorite bags and jewelry on screen and a few just framed art prints on the wall. Bring in delicious texture using a cuddly mohair throw and smooth sateen sheets.
2. Dapper gent. As polished and polished as a bespoke suit, this look is based around fine materials like wool, wood and leather, and classic menswear patterns like a windowpane check and plaids. Furniture with fresh lines and neatly tucked bedding store things looking fresh and contemporary, while a monogrammed accent injects a bit of personality.
Best & Company
3. Old-world relaxation. Plump cushions and deep bedcovers are pure luxury. The patina of age on a mirror paired using full size drapes and a private selection of antiques call to mind venerable old European resorts. Silvery gray-blue paint, plush wall-to-wall carpeting and creamy bedding are a tranquil match for this look.
4. Fresh romantic. Pure linen sheets or pillow shams, flowing white curtains and fresh flowers are musts for this look. Practicing a bit of restraint will keep it from veering into froufrou land — a small ruffle perhaps, but bypass the floral prints. Walls painted a light minty green provide a soothing backdrop.
5. Boho glam. Select a timeless decorator favorite (like the upholstered bed with nailhead trim shown here) to create the area around, then mix and match accessories at whim. Bamboo blinds and vibrant printed bedding paired using a glass-top table and a fun framed print add up to a laidback yet glamorous look.
6. Parisian chic. A restrained palette of black and white may feel really luxurious, especially once you select details and textures that thrill the senses. Smooth dark (or even painted) wood floors and crisp white walls create an envelope to match with small luxuries — nice sheets and a delicate coverlet, a petite chandelier, a velvet cushion. Add a little sparkle with a couple classic perfume bottles and spritz sheets with linen water before slipping in for the night.
Sara Tuttle Interiors
7. Vintage charm. If you can’t move up a flea market or “junktique” shop without operating in, this look is for you. Collect what catches your attention and your heartstrings, without worrying whether the it will fit perfectly — after all, you could always paint it. Having one contemporary print in the combination, whether on cushions or a re-covered chair, is a fantastic way to maintain this look feeling fresh and present.
8. Warm modern. Keep a clean, minimalist look from becoming too cold with a stroke of fiery red or orange. Here, a wide striped bedcover echoes the colour in a painting that is oversize. In case a painting of the magnitude is beyond your present budget, look at stretching a length of bold fabric on stretchers intended for canvas (locate them in art stores). Pick a simple platform-style bed and slim task lamps, then fill out the space with a healthy potted plant and a vase of flowers.
Dan Joseph Architects
9. Cozy rustic. Engineered, unfinished wood is key to the look, but you do not need to splurge on a significant piece to make it work. Use a plain wood piece (find it at a crafts shop) as a tray to hold bedside necessities, repurpose a wood stump as a table or bring in a couple rustic wooden boxes as bedroom storage. Create warmth with cozy patchwork quilts, wool blankets and faux fur cushions — and in case you have a pair of cowboy boots, make certain to leave them outside on screen.
10. Color pops. Liven up a plain bedroom with an accent wall covered in fabulously bold wallpaper. For the really fearless, select a contrasting colour (like the yellow here against the peacock blue wall) for the bedside tables and cushions. If you prefer to restrict your pop to a single place, select a white or wood headboard and tables, and also coating on neutral (but deliciously textured) bedding.
Inform us Which look is your favorite? What would your fantasy bedroom look like?